Belmont plans to apply for 2020 presidential debate bid
President Donald Trump may be coming to Belmont’s campus in 2020.
Belmont is applying to host a presidential debate in 2020, according to a press release from the Belmont Office of Communications.
The university will officially submit its proposal to the Commission on Presidential Debates early in 2019, according to the press release.
Belmont hosted a town hall debate once before, when former Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama came to the university in 2008. Belmont also served as the alternate host site for a debate in 2016.
“Hosting events where students and citizens can engage in important conversations that are imperative to our community and our nation is a perfect reflection of Belmont’s mission, and we would welcome the opportunity to bring another presidential debate to our campus and the Nashville community,” said Belmont President Dr. Robert Fisher in the press release.
Belmont will be backed by The Mayor’s Office and the Nashville Convention & Visitors Corporation, who supported Belmont in hosting the 2008 debate, according to the press release.
Nashville’s growth over the past 10 years has made the city an even better debate site than it was previously, said Nashville Mayor David Briley in a press release.
“The dynamic growth and economic development we’ve seen in the decade since have only expanded our ability to provide genuine hospitality to the campaigns, media and guests that would accompany another presidential debate,” Briley said.
Belmont has also become a popular site for televised events over the past few years. In the last year alone, the university hosted the Davis Cup and CMA Country Christmas. Belmont will also be hosting the final Tennessee gubernatorial debate on Friday.
This article written by Lydia Fletcher. Photo courtesy of Belmont Office of Communications